Avoiding Ontario's frigid winter season by heading south is a great escape for many retirees and families in Niagara. Before you go, ensure a worry-free holiday protecting your home from Winter's cruelty and avoid flooding.
There's one thing that we can all agree on. Returning home from a southern holiday, is never the highlight of the vacation. Landing at the airport during a ferocious winter storm can be a very unwelcome reminder of exactly what we were escaping. Furthermore, finding your home in damaged condition by a flooded basement, is the ultimate holiday buzz kill.
It's easy to get caught up in the packing and planning for a much needed, winter escape. Be sure to add a few things to your list that will prevent a disaster when you return.
Whether you are planning to be away for a week or a few months, it's important to be proactive in reducing the chance of any failures while away.
- Ask a neighbour or friend to check on the home periodically throughout your vacation.
- Install a battery back-up system on your sump pump(s).
- Check outdoor taps. Bleed the water, remove hoses, shut-off the water to those taps.
- Ensure washing machine is empty.
- When setting the heat back, check your furnace manual for the lowest recommended temperature. A good rule of thumb is 60 degrees F or 15 degrees C, to avoid heat exchanger issues and water line freezing.
- Rectify any small leaks.
- Check your Main water shut off valve is not seized. (In case it is needed)
- For longer vacations, turn the water off at the Main shut off valve.
- Consider a WIFI Thermostat so can monitor your home or receive alerts.
- BIO CLEAN is great for drain, pipe and septic cleaning while you're away www.bio-clean.ca
Konkle Plumbing and Heating in Niagara can help ensure your home is protected over the winter holidays.
Contact Konkle for water shut-off valves, sump pump battery back ups, leak repairs, furnace preventative maintenance/check ups and iphone, ipad compatible thermostats.
Beamsville, Grimsby, Smithville, Stoney Creek, Vineland, Wainfleet, Welland, Pelham, St. Catharines, Thorold, Fonthill.